The start of a new school year is upon us! As you head back for the Fall semester here are some tried and true tips and tricks to kick-off your classes.
- Success Orientation – Have a Student Success Orientation the first week of class. Show your student the tools they need to be successful in their math course. On your LMS set up a folder for articles and videos for good study habits. Level up: Set aside the last few minutes of a class to help students set-up study groups.
- Bootcamp – The first few weeks of classes office hours can be empty. In lieu of office hours, once a week offer a bootcamp to help students brush up on their skills.
- Mini introductions – Students succeed when they make connections with other students in class. Rather than going through the entire class the first day try having small groups of students introduce themselves over the first few weeks so it’s not overwhelming.
- Policy Review – As you review your syllabus and class policies for the upcoming semester ask “Does this promote student success and learning?” If not, re-think the policy.
- Syllabus Quiz – Many of the emails instructors get can be answered by a quick check of the syllabus or course website. The second or third week of classes have a pop syllabus quiz. Create the quiz around the most commonly asked student questions.