For the past five months you’ve dealt with (fill in the blank with your stresses here). You deserve a vacation! If you’ve got a trip planned already or are thinking of getting away for the weekend, here are some tips on getting those travel discounts for teachers. Pack your bags and don’t forget your teacher ID!
1) Call ahead and ask. Your hotel and other destination places will have some sort of discount for teachers. If they aren’t published, the best way to find out is to call the reservation agent or manager.
2) Get the government rate. Most establishments provide public school employees with government rate on hotel stays. If you work for a state-funded college or university, call your hotel to see if you can get this rate. It’s worth the few minutes!
3) Try Hilton. They love teachers. Speaking of reduced rates for teachers, did you know that Hilton and its family of hotel brands offer a discount to employees of state-funded schools? When booking through Hilton websites, select the “Gov/Military rates.”
4) Get an International Teacher Identity Card. This card, which is available to any employed educator at an accredited school, gives discounts for worldwide travel and activities. It also includes discounts for travel through the United States.
5) Visit attractions that offer discounts. There are tons of attractions throughout the country that offer great discounts to teachers, like Disney Destinations. Simply do a quick browser search on where you are going and you’ll likely find a few worthwhile places to visit and discounts to take advantage of. Remember, you can always call ahead as well!
6) Member of NEA? Rent your car for less. NEA members can save as much as 25 percent off car rentals, as well as take advantage of unlimited mileage, roadside assistance, and more. Login to your NEA account to check out these offers.